Sunday, February 5, 2012

Loom Knitting Newborn Baby Hat with no brim




Loom used: 31 peg loom (Knifty Knitter is what I used - blue color).


FYI... for loom sizes... Don't use the blue 24 peg for this. If you use two strands of yarn, with one of those strands on the bulky side (6), then the 24 peg would be for a preemie hat (blue), and the 31 peg (red) loom for newborn, and the 36 peg (Green) loom would be used for young children (1.5 years at least to 4 years. I haven't tried them on an older child yet). If you want an adult hat with two strands of bulky yarn (even for women!) you will need to use the yellow loom which is 41 pegs. I learned this the hard way... knitting a bunch of hats and trial and error.

Yarn used: I use two strands of yarn so the hat has less space in between each chain (no holes which makes it warmer!). I will usually use a normal cheaper yarn mixed with the nicer and softer specialty yarns that are bulky. I have also used a third strand that is super thin but adds additional color, variety, and texture.

Step 1: Knit 27 to 30 rows (I use the basic e-wrap - if you need help with the basics please check out Provo Craft's website - search Provo Craft Knifty Knitter and you will find it). I give you that window because I don't count my rows when I do a hat. I just look at it and estimate as I'm nearing the end.

** Do notice that I did not turn the cuff and make a brim on the hat. I tried this with one hat and realized the brim ends up being so thick (which is cute of course!) that I imagine this could cause some havoc on a little newborn neck. Remember, newborn babies sleep a lot with hats on and they shouldn't be putting the babies neck out of alignment. So I went with no cuff and the little curled rim that you see is just what naturally occurs with loom knitting.

Step 2: Take off with gather method
Step 3: I sewed on a cute bow for cuteness factor.

No comments:

Post a Comment