Friday, February 3, 2012

Loom Knitting Neborn Baby Booties Template, and Baby Bootie Heel Template




Loom used: 12 peg loom (Knifty Knitter is what I used)

Yarn used: I use two strands of yarn so the bootie has less space in between each chain (no holes which makes them warmer!). I will usually use a normal cheaper yarn mixed with the nicer and softer specialty yarns. I have also used a third strand that is super thin but adds color and variety.

Step 1: Knit 6 rows (I use the basic e-wrap - if you need help with the basics please check out Provo Craft's website - search Provo Craft Knifty Knitter and you will find it)

Step 2: Turn Cuff (It's like making a brim on a hat)

Step 3: Knit 2 rows

Step 4: Knit the Heel (You will not be knitting around and around in a circle. You will use only pegs 1-8)

Heel Template For 12 Peg Loom
This template is good and bad. Good because it makes a cute gradual heel like you see in a normal sock. Bad because it will leave larger holes than the rest of the bootie, and you will have to at the end repair the holes.

wrap pegs 1 through 8 knit off

wrap pegs 7 – 2 knit off

wrap pegs 3 - 6 knit off

wrap pegs 5 - 4 knit off

wrap peg 5 only knit off

wrap pegs 5 - 4 knit off

wrap pegs 3 - 6 knit off

wrap pegs 7 - 2 knit off

wrap pegs 1 - 12 knit off


Step 5: Knit 7 more rows (I've done 6 rows and it looks just a bit smaller than I would like. Next time I will try the 7 or 8 rows. This step is where you are making the length of the toe. Adjust according to your personal desire).

Step 6: take off with gather method - leave a REALLY long tail like 18 inches long

Step 7: Turn the bootie inside out (it already should be for the gather method). Use your really long tail to then sew up the holes that you find throughout the heel. If you use nice thick fun yarn you will not be able to see much of this. As I'm doing it I am very aware of what I am doing on the outside of the bootie to maintain a cute look. There is no real trick to this. Just sew up the holes.

Step 8: I do not recommend weaving a ribbon to tie around the booties. I'm a nurse and this sets off all sorts of alarm bells in my head. It would be so easy for mom or dad to tie this too tight and they wouldn't be able to tell because the blue oxygen-deprived foot wouldn't be showing! So I just sewed on a cute bow for cuteness factor.

6 comments:

  1. Followed this pattern and the booties turned out great. Size matches newborn socks bought at a store! Thank you so much!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for the great pattern. I made these to match a hat and bunting set I made for my friend's e month old. I adjusted the size a bit bc he's not quite a newborn anymore...my lil chunker. I used pipsqueek yarn and the heel didn't require much sewing. Thanks again, I wish more patterns were laid out like yours...simple and to the point.
    Happy knitting
    Meghan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! I'm glad this was helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How much yarn do I need to start

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used two skeins of yarn. When I say above that I used "two strands of yarn" that came from two separate skein's. Does that make sense?

      Delete